Photo

Ethernet Stuff

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 Fuel §

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Wired Router:
http://www.staples.c...p;cmArea=SEARCH

worky?

#22 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

Would do just fine. Might want to get it here though,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833127091

Or at least try and price match it.

#23 Why Two Kay

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

Firewalls are overrated, so are anti-virus and spyware checkers. It's all corporate hype.

Really? You should see the list of attacks my hardware firewall stops everyday. The kind of malicious stuff that can turn your computer into a boat anchor. If you have a computer on any type of "always on" connection you need something to protect it. I just happen to prefer a hardware firewall. Then I don't run any software firewalls, virus checkers or spyware things. Then again I only download files from known sources.

A firewall router isn't that much more than a switch and provides a layer of protection and ease of setup.

I was speaking mostly of software, that is. Hardware firewalls integrated into the router work somewhat well, but only if the attacker knows the way through the router.

My WRT54G is a simple NAT router, which provides quite a layer of protection, thanks to the whole 192.168.1.xxx IP that individual computers are assigned. I upped this, and installed DD-WRT onto the router, so it's running a completely different firmware than default. If anybody knows how to attack the standard firmware, I have 1upped them.

I also have my DHCP server running and changing my internal IP address daily at 5am. I tend to use the higher numbers (192.168.1.200, 175, etc) just because it's not common to do so. It's manual DHCP, yet scripted to change, a very secure move.

Plus my wireless is locked down by MAC-Address, WPA, etc, etc, and I keep tabs on it doing anything if my dad is not on his wireless computers, since it shouldn't be.

#24 pest control

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

stormy , ur right, in ontario looks like they charge extra $10 for aditional IP,
in west, Shaw, Sasktel, Telus and MTS give 2 IPs with standard package for residential clients. this is remainin thing from "hub's" era, before routers came out,
they will start charging for it here too if Ontario is doing it.

#25 gruntboy

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

Firewalls are overrated, so are anti-virus and spyware checkers. It's all corporate hype.

Really? You should see the list of attacks my hardware firewall stops everyday. The kind of malicious stuff that can turn your computer into a boat anchor. If you have a computer on any type of "always on" connection you need something to protect it. I just happen to prefer a hardware firewall. Then I don't run any software firewalls, virus checkers or spyware things. Then again I only download files from known sources.

A firewall router isn't that much more than a switch and provides a layer of protection and ease of setup.

I was speaking mostly of software, that is. Hardware firewalls integrated into the router work somewhat well, but only if the attacker knows the way through the router.

My WRT54G is a simple NAT router, which provides quite a layer of protection, thanks to the whole 192.168.1.xxx IP that individual computers are assigned. I upped this, and installed DD-WRT onto the router, so it's running a completely different firmware than default. If anybody knows how to attack the standard firmware, I have 1upped them.

I also have my DHCP server running and changing my internal IP address daily at 5am. I tend to use the higher numbers (192.168.1.200, 175, etc) just because it's not common to do so. It's manual DHCP, yet scripted to change, a very secure move.

Plus my wireless is locked down by MAC-Address, WPA, etc, etc, and I keep tabs on it doing anything if my dad is not on his wireless computers, since it shouldn't be.

cool.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com