Photo

How much will this help me?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 Why Two Kay

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

Your graphics card isn't bad at all, compared to what I used to run on (Radeon 9200). RAM is a big deal in BF2, and I reccomend dropping the 2x256, and getting an additional 1gb when you decide to upgrade.

If you get a better graphics card, you can run the game on high, but the game will not load all high into 1gb of ram. I have 1 gb of ram, and the entire game as high as it goes (including sounds), and the following background programs: AIM, XFire, TeamSpeak, ATi Tool. There is nowhere near enough RAM for the game to load properly, and it stats using the swap file and it's not so nice that way.

2gb of ram minimum if you want to run the game at full blast, and still ALT+TAB successfully (with other programs running). 1gb is fine for all low settings with some medium. Textures on high is what really needs all of that memory.

#22 posi

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

If your trying to get the best bang for your buck the 6800 is a damn good card and doesn't need the upgrade. More memory yes, Most integrated sound isn't that good and maybe. The video card sucks power post is right, Upgrading to 450 - 500 watt power supply in a name brand would be smart.

#23 Death Trap

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

Your dell PSU will be fine, I have almost the exact same setup only difference is that mine is not a "XPS", Mine: P4 3.0 1.5 gig ram and a 7600GT. So far no problems using the 350W PSU that came with the dell.

#24 AnonymousFlash

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:52 PM

Meh, I didn't want to clog the tech help section with another topic, so I will just post it here.

My system specs:
-Pentium 4 at 3.2ghz
-Nvidia Geforce 6800(normally 600 mhz memory clock, and 325mhz 3dclock) over clocked to 680/365
-1.5 gigs of DDR2
-Integrated Sound

I'm currently running BF2 with all settings on high except for texture filtering and texture. AA is on 2x. Dynamic lighting/shadows are on low. My resolution is 800x600 at 72hz. Sound is on medium quality. I get about 30-60 fps on Karkand, but occasionally it dips into the 20's. I get 40-60 fps in Oman. Don't get me wrong here though:I am not complaining. I'm very happy with my settings compared to what they were when I had 512 megs. However, I want to make sure that I am getting the most out of PC. Is there anything I should turn up that won't hurt performance that much? Thanks in advance,

James

#25 Plazma

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

Yea pretty much what everyone else said is correct. RAM makes a HUGE difference in performance. The reason being is that all instructions are sent to RAM first and then to the CPU and well your CPU can be 10GHZ but if it cannot get the data/instructions fast enough, its just sitting their wasting clock cycles.

As for the video card, definatly always a plus to upgrade. I am very Pro-Nvidia so im all for that. WHat are you goign to be doing with the 6800 card? I am currently on a 9200SE due to my 9800 pro dying and the fact that i dislike ATI. If you would be willing to sell it I am quite interested.

#26 AnonymousFlash

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

Heh, I would be interested in scamming...err...selling my card to you. ;)
Unfortunatly, my parents would never let me sell something to a guy I don't know.(Can you say overprotective? :D ) By the way, you can get a 7600GT for 140 at newegg. I have decided not to upgrade my graphics card for a while, because I can run everything at medium-high settings right now.

PS
I'm still thinking about getting another 512 mb, and a SB Audigy 2 ZS! :wasnt-me:

#27 Plazma

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

audigy is a great card.

i understand about the whole parents thing. Just how parents are.

Yea id say your current GFX card is suffucient.. im debating on a few upgrades myself.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com