Photo

I am so pissed off...Arrrrgggggg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 JJ

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

This was the original problem:
Playing along and my monitor goes black for a second then the game crumbles right to the desktop. Up until that point the game is running great, no lag or weirdness. It happens every once in a while. Not sure whats going on...JJ

This was the suggested solution:
Try delete your cache in the My Documents\Battlefield 2142\mods folder and the file icontent.cache. This may help some and NVIDIA driver version 91.31 is confirmed to run with out crashing ql.after clearing your cache. Please roll back to version 91.31. You can download this driver below.

http://download.nvid...nglish_whql.exe

Just a thought.

And the end result: I downloaded the driver. Uninstalled to old driver and installed the new one. I then lost my internet connection. Its not in my Network Control panel, its just a generic 1394. I have to Reactivate my copy of windows and I am being prompted to install the new found hardware "PCI Memory Controller".

I do not want to have to reinstall windows because like an asshole I have nothing backed up...

To all those who know me well you can imagine the expletives flying in my living room. I am out until I find a solution to this, if it was my Mac I would be done and fixed by now. I am posting on my Mac so I can check the forums. Any help that you can give I would appreciate it. So much so that I will purchase the problem solver a months password to their server of choice. Think I'm full of shit, ask Hartley...

So pissed...OMG...USHA please come and get my guns...JJ

#2 Monkey

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

Jimmy just put the Windows disk in and go like you are about to reinstall...... when it asks to repair from console say NO. When it asks to repair existing windows installation say YES. It will restore all your windows files and you will not lose a thing. :pinkele:

#3 Jason Bourne

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

I'm guessing you got the "fix" here: http://www.totalbf21...ead.php?t=11213

JJ, I was in nearly the exact same fix as you (as you may remember :P). I'll check around as much as I can for a solution.

#4 Lin

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

<3 Jayy Jayy

breathe, everything will be all right.

#5 JJ

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

<3 Jayy Jayy

breathe, everything will be all right.

I love you too, but I just zorched a 500G Seagate HD....someone kill me NOW !!!!

#6 JJ

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

After reinstalling windows the rig will not boot unless in safe mode. The blue sliding bar goes and goes and then just locks up. I still have no internet connection that is usable from that machine. It is a net work card thing. I had two icons in my network control panel and now I have only one with no packet movement. Somehow when I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers it moved/deleted my real network connection. On the left hand side it would show me the Mask, and sub mask. Now nothing. I'm giving up for now, I will check back and see if there are any pearls of wisdom. If I could only get a net connection I could make this work...

#7 USHA

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Just shoot it, it will make you feel so good in side.
:lamo:

#8 WTBass

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

JJ, can you roll back your vid driver to the previous installation? If so...that might help the nic card...if not...download the nic drivers too!

All else fails...USHA solution will make you feel better! Gl man! :)

#9 Gen209KiLlEr

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

I had A problem with 2142 Crashing a lot. EA Tiped me To Lower down my Hardware Acceleration Level By:

Hit Start -> Click Run -> Type "dxdiag" -> Go to the Sound Tab.

Then in the lower Middle of the Tab, You should see Hardware Acceleration Level. EA told me to Take it down to Basic Acceleration, and I was Fine.

Hope This Helps a bit.

#10 KatManDu

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

When you uninstalled your nVidia video drivers you probably uninstalled your nVidia network drivers too.
Do you have a nVidia nForce cd somewhere?

#11 JJ

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:19 AM

When you uninstalled your nVidia video drivers you probably uninstalled your nVidia network drivers too.
Do you have a nVidia nForce cd somewhere?

:blink: Computing...

#12 JJ

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

Latest up date:
Hard Drive # 1 will not get past Blue Windows screen with flag just hangs there.
Hard Drive # 2 lost power during upgrade install of XP. Upon trying again I have no keyboard functions, dead mouse and Nvidia error messages during XP install.

At this point if I could just wipe one HD I would be happy. I need to get all the Nvidia shit off also as this seems to be mucking up the process badly.

So I am stuck. I checked with the Microsoft knowledge base but could not find anything helpful. I am actually toying with the idea of buying a really cheap HD and trying to do a clean install but I am afraid the Nvidia crap will pop up and I will have three pieces of shit...JJ

The bottom line is that I can not get to the XP desktop, nor am I expereinced enough to figure out how to get to DOS and format the HD from there. Any suggestions on the Nvidia stuff...

#13 KILLER BOB

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

JJ, the best advice I can give you now is to just wipe it and be done with it. It is far too much hassel, and unless you feel like paying a lot of money for a computer tech to sort through everything, there's not really much you could do.

#14 mike080697

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

JJ, the best advice I can give you now is to just wipe it and be done with it. It is far too much hassel, and unless you feel like paying a lot of money for a computer tech to sort through everything, there's not really much you could do.

Yeah, but JJ said he didn't have a format disk. JJ, during windows clean install you are given an option to format, use that. All the remaining data on the drive will be erased.

Says something like:

Format using NTFS (quick)

Format using NTFS

use the one in bold

Tech geniuses, does this sound right?

#15 JJ

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

I am totally prepared to reformat both. The problem is that it is neither HD is giving me that option and I can not find a creative way to do it. I am having trouble bringing up the Bios to change the boot order and bypass the HD all together...

#16 mike080697

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:25 AM

I am totally prepared to reformat both. The problem is that it is neither HD is giving me that option and I can not find a creative way to do it. I am having trouble bringing up the Bios to change the boot order and bypass the HD all together...

Sounds like you have an Nvidia base chipset motherboard, I think press the Del key during boot to get in the bios. Change boot order to CD or DVD drive 1st, whichever you got, 2nd the hard disk. Insert windows CD, reboot.

The internet connection thing I'm assuming you have an on board network card. This would require a driver to get on the net. It would be part of the Nvidia chipset drivers

#17 Enforcer

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

Bring it to the geeks..it may cost, but, they will give you an answer. I just got the new rig and reinstalled everything..works but, was a tremendous pain in the ass.

#18 Catfish

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:07 PM

Can you still boot into safe mode? I would try going into the device manager and deleting your network card, then cross your fingers windows will find it and reinstall.

Also, you might pick up an external USB hard drive and salvage what you can if you decide to reinstall.

#19 mike080697

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Can you still boot into safe mode? I would try going into the device manager and deleting your network card, then cross your fingers windows will find it and reinstall.

Catfish, I think when he was uninstalling his video card drivers, he unistalled his on board network card drivers. They were named Nvidia as well. Windows for some reason cannot find drivers for these on board cards, at least that's what happens to me. Then he tried to reinstall Windows and it went downhill from there.

#20 Catfish

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Catfish, I think when he was uninstalling his video card drivers, he unistalled his on board network card drivers. They were named Nvidia as well. Windows for some reason cannot find drivers for these on board cards, at least that's what happens to me. Then he tried to reinstall Windows and it went downhill from there.

Right, but if Windows thinks the device is still there but it's FUBAR, by removing it and forcing windows to reinstall that device (and along with it the driver) you may have some success. FWIW, I'm better hands on than remote. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com