Photo

just wondering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 sgtlaughlin

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

any one here run on a 56 k modem? for bf 1942

#2 GrimReaper

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

56k modem for gaming? heh.

Get dsl if u can, its just as cheap as dialup now a days.

#3 DeadlyDon

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

What's a 56k modem?

#4 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:50 AM

What's a 56k modem?

I think it's the one that came after the 28.8k modem and the 33.6k modem.

#5 GrimReaper

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

and you wonder why he complains of lag. :blink:

#6 HarolDwBusH

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

oh dear god.. you poor child..

i though 56ks were outlawed.. they damnwell should be..

by the time you pay for an extra phone line and dial up connection you can pay for highest speed cable.. *xena yell* ayayayyayyayyyyaeeeee!!!!

#7 Rabbit

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

After Hurricane Katrina when I had no cable I attemped to play on Dial-up. I had a mere 750-900 ping on the mod server with only one other on. It isn't that bad except that your gun hits its target 10 ft away in like 3 seconds.

#8 DragonCat

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:33 PM

isnt 56k a bad word now? :ban:

#9 PerfectSilence

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

Well, Here's what I know about Internet speeds:

OC3 and Above : Extremely fast and also extremely Expensive. Runs on ATM switches. $5,000 and Up

DS3 : Bundled T3 Lines. Something like $1,000 and reaches speeds of 100 Mbps Dedicated

T1 - T3 : I hear this is a popular solution for business's. Bundled ISDN lines. $500 Range

Cable : Most popular solution since DSL. about $45 per month and supposedly reaches speeds of 4 Mbps

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) : Runs through Telephone lines and reaches speeds of 768 Kbps. $30 per month

ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) : Common before DSL and Cable. Rarely used anymore. Speeds of 144 Kbps at about $200 per month

Dial up : Still very popular. Legally capped at 56.7 Kbps, in the U.S. at least. $10 per month

There is nothing wrong with Dial-Up, it is fine as a back-up for when the power goes out. I use it on the road to go with my Pocket PC and Cellular Phone, although with Verizon's new EV-DO network I can achieve speeds of 500 Kbps. I have tried playing BF42 on Dial-up, and while I assume that it is possible, I haven't been able to score a good game with it.

#10 The Xevious

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

Cable : Most popular solution since DSL. about $45 per month and supposedly reaches speeds of 4 Mbps

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) : Runs through Telephone lines and reaches speeds of 768 Kbps. $30 per month

That isn't all true. I can get DSL at 5mbps around here, and Cable at 8mbps. It will run at that speed too. Those numbers are just made up, along with the prices. It varries widly by area. DSL can be faster and cheaper, and so can Cable, it just depends on the area.

#11 Grenade71822

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Yall forgot about the 14.4 kbs modem. And i have dsl and i love it. But i want to win the lottery so i can get a 0C3 Connection. And i would get a 10 ping anywhere. Just a thought.

#12 HarolDwBusH

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

But i want to win the lottery so i can get a 0C3 Connection

i want to win the lottery just so i can have a new car.. have you seen my car?.. theres a pic in the hobbies gallery.. while i do love my car.. its too damn slow.. and its falling apart... :bsplit:

#13 Wasabi®

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:52 AM

I don't get any lag because my connection is on a 100mbps T2 line. Here it's only 50 bucks per month for it and I et amazing download speeds even from overseas. However, I do get net lag which means in games I need to predict where the enemy is going to be in 0.something seconds (ping 200) and fire. If successful, my bullets hit him. I will take a video some day to show you what it's like. I don't know when to stop firing, because the kill message comes almost a full second after I shot him in the head 6 times :P

#14 Grenade71822

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:10 AM

Well get fraps or some other free program like that.

#15 sgtlaughlin

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

and you wonder why he complains of lag. :blink:

actually im not on dial up or 56 k my friend just got the game and he hasnt been online yet and i was just seeing if any one runs on it im on DSL i complain of lag ummmmmmmmmm NO i barly ever get lag so how bout u stop trying to start SH*T and STFU

#16 Lin

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

Mind your manners or I'll toss you on your ear.

#17 HarolDwBusH

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:53 AM

Mind your manners or I'll toss you on your ear.

uhoh.. mommy's here.. :applaud:

#18 PerfectSilence

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

That isn't all true. I can get DSL at 5mbps around here, and Cable at 8mbps. It will run at that speed too. Those numbers are just made up, along with the prices. It varries widly by area. DSL can be faster and cheaper, and so can Cable, it just depends on the area.

Yeah, You're right, If you want to "boil it down" to the bare bone. I'm speaking Generally, Xevious. 95% of households with Broadband Internet have either DSL or Cable.

#19 cowhead_cow

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Don't make fun of people with 56K. When my parents first separated, I was stuck using a Dial Up internet service for half a year, and I know that it isn't fun at all.

Besides, we all used 56K at one point, right? :D

#20 HarolDwBusH

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

Besides, we all used 56K at one point, right?

i try to forget those days..

"Seperated, I cut myself clean, of a past that comes back in my darkest of dreams"..

if you can name the tune that lyric is from you get a prize...

Ive heard that song so many times i barf when i hear it sadly... not that im against the genre of music that it falls into..

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com